Monday, 25 August 2008

Reminiscence Waffle

Was looking at a site listing peoples first ever record, and on the whole most have some really embarrasing first records, usually things like the Smurfs, Wombles, Teletubbies etc :)
I guess that's down to people being given them by parents and grandparents who think that's what you should be listening to?

Possibly due to my age and background I never had a record player or any records until I was 13, we did have one of those old radiogrammes? that looked like a sideboard and my dad was the only one allowed to switch it on? and as I remember it didn't have an option for 45rpm (78, 33 and 16?).
My older sister had one of those autochanger ones that looked like a suitcase, but she wouldn't let me touch it.
Finally on my 13th Birthday they bought me one, a Rigonda from Russia for £15 and I was told to value it with my life!! it was a standard deck with a seperate speaker and sounded pretty good.
I was also given a record to play on it - Geoff Love plays the Top TV Themes :)
My sister gave me a few of her old unwanted albums, and Dad went to the rubbish tip one day and came home with a huge pile of old 78's someone had dumped (probably some real classics if I could remember them).
Technically speaking the first 7" single I ever owned was "Hey Little Girl" by Del Shannon, I won it as a prize at a school fete. I really don't remember what happened to it?
So back to the original point :) I actually class "Hell Raiser" by the Sweet as my first single as it was the first one I bought with my own earned money, spent a weeks wages on it :)
My paper round only paid me 50p a week, so I went down to my Auntie's record shop in a place called Stanford-Le-Hope and shelled out 47p for it as it was in the charts at the time, and got home and played it to death.
Most of my early albums were accrued as Christmas presents things like 20 Dynamic hits and 20 Fantastic hits etc (must thank the guy who ran the "Radio Radio" blog who posted nearly all of these online before he sadly closed (or had to close?) his blog last year).

Sorry for the waffle, I'm just feeling a bit down at the moment and it helps to reminisce on better days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this kind of memory. My parents had the same kind of radiogramme (Ferguson if I remember correctly). My dfirst record player was an old Dansette that my sister didn't want anymore (wish I had kept it... would have been worth quite a bit now). The first record bought for me was a Scooby Doo mystery (the Abominable Snowman I think) but the first single I bought myself, which must have been about the same time as it cost 45p, was Starman by Bowie.