My yearly Eurovision post :)
Sadly after a few really great years the last two have been very average, I watched the 2 semi finals and could only come up with 3 songs I liked and one of those got knocked out.
The extra six songs in the finals from the "protected countries" and hosts Azerbaijan weren't much better :(
My favourite song was the Albanian entry - Suus by Rona Nishliu which is a really weird song for this contest, Rona seems to have been inspired by Bjork and the film "the fifth element", her costume seemed to be a mix of the blue singer and Gary Oldman's strange outfit from that film and she looks a little like Bjork.
Her voice was incredible although I'm not sure what the song was about and to be honest it can't have had many lyrics as most of the song was taken up with her demonstrating her amazing vocal range.
My missus and the various BBC presenters all hated it, not missing a chance to say something derogatory about her but she finished a creditable 5th proving someone else liked it :)
My other choices were Estonian singer Ott Lepland and his song Kuula, I've no idea what the song was about but he also had a brilliant voice.
My third best fell at the semi finals and it really wasn't a great song but I just loved the concept :) an Austrian rap duo called the Trackshitterz singing a song with the chorus of Shake your booty which in Austrian sounded more like "fuckin in the popo"!! :)
The final was won by Swedish singer Loreen with a club track that was pretty average although the backing track was good, I think the Russian grannies were second and some bland ballad by Serbia was third.
UK hopes were riding on wrinkly old timer Englebert Humpledink and he did well to score 9 points and finish one from bottom, Irish twins Jedward didn't do much better probably meaning they will be back next year?
We'll do it all again in Sweden next year and hopefully the standard will improve, and just maybe the UK will put someone up who has a chance? didn't Morrissey offer his services?
Tuber: 3 Albums 2013 - 2023
2 hours ago
No comments:
Post a Comment