Wednesday, 6 August 2008

Gheorghe Zamfir - Doina De Jale


To prove I like some weird shit, here's Gheorghe Zamfir with the theme from a seventies BBC show called "the light of experience".
This instrumental probably brought the panpipes to the masses, but don't let that put you off it's a really good "haunting" melody that stands the test of time.
The B side is totally different and I can only describe it as "a Penny whistle on acid" :).

The main song has a strange memory for me, I originally bought it because my Mum liked it, and just afterwards my Girlfriend at the time said she'd been receiving strange phone calls with no talking but just this tune playing in the background?.
Had to hide the disc in case she thought it was me scaring her (it wasn't me, I'm not that imaginative).

01 - Doina De Jale
02 - Briul Oltenesc

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Been after this haunting tune for years! Was even tempted to record a version and see who sued me just so I could find out who it was! I remember it from a TV show when I was young, yet never could remember the program name (kept thinking it was Arena or Horizon) or who the song was by. only when watching "Picnic at Hanging Rock" the other day" did i wonder if it might have been Zamfir -and presto, here I am. Many thanks, great blog site to chance across too, totally up my street. Bookmarked!

Lee said...

Picnic's a film I'd forgotten about must try and see it again.