Banned by the BBC so I had to go and buy this one :)
Classic moan and groan from Donna Summer and the B side is really good as well.
01 - Love To Love You Baby
02 - Need A Man Blues
3 comments:
Anonymous
said...
Thanks for this; great old single. BTW viewers might not know that this was the Sylvia from the 50s R&B duo Mickey & Sylvia (starring session guitarist supremo Mickey Baker -- I guess we all know the classic oldie "Love is Strange") and would become the Sylvia Robinson who was head honcho of Sugarhill Records (e.g. can be heard singing backing vocals in "White Lines (Don't Do It)" which I also guess we all know. And I would expect that, if that single is a Canadian pressing, the sleeve is an original. The sadly-missed Ampex branch plant firm was a quality pressing plant/distributor/manufacturer of recording tape prior to Canada's deindustrialization under 'Free Trade'. Regards - John in Ottawa
Thanks John :) Assume you meant the comment to be on the record below though. A lot of interesting stuff I didn't know. My only excuse was that I was really young when this came out and she didn't get a lot of mentions in what I was reading at the time .. comics mainly :) Interesting about the Sugarhill link. As for the cover I've only just read the bottom of the red label and had missed "distributed by Ampex" doh!!
DISCLAIMER: Any music files found here shouldn't be here as I've deleted them all. They used to be here for the purpose of previewing / reviewing and should not be seen as a substitute for the original, legal, approved, record company enriching product.
3 comments:
Thanks for this; great old single. BTW viewers might not know that this was the Sylvia from the 50s R&B duo Mickey & Sylvia (starring session guitarist supremo Mickey Baker -- I guess we all know the classic oldie "Love is Strange") and would become the Sylvia Robinson who was head honcho of Sugarhill Records (e.g. can be heard singing backing vocals in "White Lines (Don't Do It)" which I also guess we all know. And I would expect that, if that single is a Canadian pressing, the sleeve is an original. The sadly-missed Ampex branch plant firm was a quality pressing plant/distributor/manufacturer of recording tape prior to Canada's deindustrialization under 'Free Trade'. Regards - John in Ottawa
Thanks John :)
Assume you meant the comment to be on the record below though.
A lot of interesting stuff I didn't know.
My only excuse was that I was really young when this came out and she didn't get a lot of mentions in what I was reading at the time .. comics mainly :)
Interesting about the Sugarhill link.
As for the cover I've only just read the bottom of the red label and had missed "distributed by Ampex" doh!!
Thanks Again !!
Post a Comment