I probably have better stuff to do but I like the internet and listening to music and all other non productive ways of spending my non working hours so I'm on a bit of a downer at the moment.
To explain the computer has been living on borrowed time for a few months and might live on although I'm doubting it at the moment, after the last big crash I managed to bring it back to life and although not perfect has served it's purpose quite well until yesterday when the hard drive started making weird grinding noises and kept crashing, the ribbon cable change suggested seemed to have sorted the problem temporarily but the drive is definitely dying.
I managed an act of stupidity and short circuited my back up (slave) drive with a screw driver while the machine was still turned on (yeah I know ..) the blue flash and puff of smoke were a bit of a giveaway, so 320gb of music files are probably lost, I had some backed up elsewhere but non of the most recent ones :(
After stripping the computer down to the basics it finally came back to life very slowly so I have spent the last 12 hours copying what I can from my C Drive to a portable HD at a snails pace, I'm guessing it will crash again soon and might not return?
My eldest son has offered me his old machine but that is older than this one and last time I fixed it for him it was full of every nasty you could possibly pick up :)
So at the moment this blog will be on hold, as everytime I've tried to upload stuff the PC has crashed so I'm not going to risk it for now.
On the upside I've just seen the traffic counter has reached 100,000 views since I added it, so thanks to all you people who have visited :)
4 comments:
That scene looks like the fraud squad went through your system like a tornado......hope your back and up and running soon,great positive attitude,cheers !!
Niall
Thanks Niall
I had cannabalised a few old pc's for bits which brought it back to life a couple of times but sadly it died for good last night :(
Just found my password and managed to log in on a friends computer so I'm not completely cut off.
Also found out today I'm gonna finally get my long overdue tax rebate soon which after paying a few bills might leave enough for a nice new (cheap) PC?
Good luck Lee,I hope you get that tax rebate and a new PC. You deserve it mate.
I feel your pain man, I've had numerous crashes on me lappy and I now back up weekly. You can get a decent laptop for about 350 dabs with 250GB hard drives. Keep the faith cos your blog is one of the best out there. cheers hp
Post a Comment