Sunday, 24 January 2010

Goldie Lookin Chain - Unofficial

Before Eggsie and Maggot became professional celebrities appearing on just about every "top 100" type clip shows they were part of the Goldie Lookin chain making some great comedy rap songs.
The bands name (I assume) comes from those "9 carat gold" chains us poorer people pay up to £50 to buy from Argos, which after trying to pawn one recently I found contains no actual gold and is worthless.

Back in 2004 about the time of their first hit I bought a collection of eleven Goldie Lookin Chain discs off of e-bay for about £7.
Not everyone's cup of tea I suppose with all the drug references and rapping about Newport council estate life (straight outta newport) which doesn't have the glamour of gangsters in Los Angeles but I really liked them.
Why most of these tracks never legally hit the shops was probably down to the music samples never being cleared for publishing as some are blatant rip-offs of well known tunes, a few of these did see the light of day later on after being re-jigged to not upset the music companies.

The lyrics are hit and miss, some brilliant some not so good but by number 6 the Manifesto they were probably as good as they were going to get, "shit to me" and "self suicide" are classics.


No comments: