Monday, 14 June 2010

Sweet - Hell Raiser


1973 hit for the Sweet, it was the follow up to their only number one "blockbuster", I would rate this as one of the Sweet's first serious singles after a long line of "novelty" hits like Wigwam Bam, Co-co, Little Willy etc and showed their heavier side the B-side Burning is more in the style of more serious acts of the time.
As for Hell Raiser it has a nice bit of punk style guitar in the first 25 seconds.

On a personal note this one is still in my collection because it was the first single I ever bought, 47p brand new from a local record shop after raising the money washing cars! people weren't as generous back then and I think the best me and my mate got was 20p for a car.
Who says nostalgia ain't what it used to be :)

01 Hell Raiser
02 Burning

8 comments:

Longy said...

I liked Sweet and Slade pre-punk and this aint a bad first single. One of mine was Far Far Away by Slade and another was John Miles "Music" which I still love funny enough.

Lee said...

Slade were brilliant, and I really liked the Sweet but it was never really cool to admit it :)

Lee said...

Out of interest Longy do you facebook? be nice to "chat" sometime?

Keir Hardie said...

I remember in the 80s Smash Hits had a regular feature where some pop star of the day would pick some old record they remembered fondly and they'd print the lyrics to it, and George Michael chose this.

Lee said...

I hope this is the only thing I have in common with George Michael :)

A Dashing Blade said...

Gotta feeling it was the first 7" I purchesed as well.

Anonymous said...

B-side sounds a bit like Immigrant Song by Led Zep.

Lee said...

Yeah can see what you mean take away Robert Plants "ah ah aah aah's" and it's really similar.