Wednesday, 21 January 2009

An Opinion

In these days of overblown CD's full of filler and bonus tracks I remember why I used to love the old vinyl albums, working on that principle of "less is more" most of my favourite albums were usually less than 10 tracks and I could remember every track as the entire album could be played in less 30-40 minutes leading you to play the thing over and over.
Most CD's I play tend to be 12+ tracks (usually a lot more) and last for well over an hour so you end up skipping the filler tracks and just playing those tracks you know or a few that have grabbed your attention when you do have the spare time to listen to the whole thing.
Not sure how I stand on it as if I paid the full price for a new CD and got half an hour of music I'd probably feel ripped off, of course if a new CD was only about half the current price I'd probably be tempted to get out and buy a few more brand new ones like I used to with the old vinyls instead of waiting for them to turn up in a cheapie store or market or just downloading them.

1 comment:

dugg said...

i absolutely agree with you about the excess, the filler and price-point issue...
paying more for less quality material has a lot to do with why the businesses that sell recordings are in the state they are now...
i used to buy 3-4 albums a week- now i probably buy 3-4 CDs a year.
all the est,
d